Yard Waste Collection & Drop Off Policy
Village of Poynette Yard Waste Program
Brush Collection Policy PDF HERE
The Village of Poynette establishes the following restrictions on its curbside collection (and / or acceptance of drop-off) of tree limbs, branches, brush, grass, and leaves/garden waste; collectively known herein as “yard waste”. Collection service is available eight (8) times per year, while drop-off acceptance is open daily. Other collection times as needed due to storms or other acts of God will be determined on an as needed basis by the Director of Public Works or his or her designee.
The purpose of this program is to set up acceptable procedures for yard waste collection and drop-off in the Village of Poynette. This “Yard Waste Collection & Drop-Off Policy” replaces all prior written or unwritten policies of any part of the governing body or employees of the Village of Poynette.
Determination of Need of Collection
Collections are scheduled (8) times per year. As a general guide, collections are scheduled the first Monday of the following months: April, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November.
The only exception to this schedule is in the month of November when Public Works will pick up leaves raked to the curb the first three Mondays of the month, or as needed pending weather.
All yard waste must be set out by 7:00 a.m. of the date scheduled for the start of collection, but no earlier than one week prior to the scheduled collection. Failure to do so will result in your items being left until the next scheduled pick-up date.
Please be patient as collection may take several days and is done as quickly as possible. Inclement weather, volume, and mechanical problems may also create delays.
It is suggested that you refer to the Village’s website or public postings for specific collection dates. Try planning your trimming around the scheduled pick-up to eliminate having yard waste out for long periods of time.
The Drop-Off Site north of the Public Works Garage is open daily (except if closed by action of the Public Works Director) to residents only, from dawn to dusk.
Private Contracted Services
No Yard Waste will be accepted at the Drop-Off Site or collected from any private residence, residential lot, vacant lot or commercial property where a contractor has been hired to remove any tree or shrubbery materials. This also covers a private property owner who is clearing a vacant lot.
Materials Accepted or Unaccepted
Items not collected or accepted by the Village:
- Root balls or stumps
- Brush cleared or cut by contractors
- Logs larger than 8” in diameter and longer than 10 feet
- Any type of lumber, including construction lumber, railroad ties, landscape timbers, fence post, or other processed wood products
- Items resulting from construction projects and land clearing are not covered by this service
- Bagged waste of any kind
- No dirt, gravel, animal waste, or garbage
Brush pile collection requirements:
- Brush piles are to be no larger than 4 feet wide by 4 feet tall by ten feet long. (4’x4’x10’). Property owners are allowed two piles that are within the requirements.
- Large tree limbs should be no larger than 8” in diameter and no longer than 10 feet.
- Material (sticks) smaller than ½” in diameter need to be placed in a container weighing no more than 30 pounds. Public Works will collect the sticks and leave the container.
- Materials 4” to 8” in diameter must be trimmed of small branches and cut into pieces no longer than 10’. Such branches must be stacked neatly at the curb in the same direction running parallel to the street.
- Brush piles shall not block sidewalks, fire hydrants or crosswalks. They should not be stacked around utility poles, fire hydrants, electrical or telephone pedestals, and mailboxes.
- Yard Waste (Brush) must be free of all metals and trash
- If materials are set out improperly, they will not be collected. A tag will be placed on the material with the reason why it was not collected. The material will only be collected when it meets policy requirements, at the next scheduled collection.
Yard waste collection requirements:
- Yard waste, including grass clippings, must be set at the curb in containers weighing less than 30 pounds. Public Works will collect the yard waste, and leave the container.
- Bagged waste will not be collected.
Leaf collection requirements:
- Leaves shall be raked / blown to the grass along the curb, not more than four feet from the curb. Leaves shall not be raked into the street or gutter along the curb.
Material Accepted at the Drop-Off Site
- Brush (limbs, branches, twigs, and other woody vegetation)
- Garden debris
- Grass clippings
Once your area of the Village has been collected, the crew will not return until the next scheduled collection date. Due to varying conditions, specific days of the week cannot be projected for each neighborhood. Collection is conducted in the most expedient methods possible, but inclement weather, mechanical issues, or emergencies may create delays. If you miss your scheduled collection, you may take your materials to the Village Drop-Off Site located north of the Public Works Garage on North Street.
January Christmas Tree Collection
Public Works will provide Christmas tree collection on the first and second Mondays in January. Trees will need to be placed out by 7:00 a.m. of the scheduled collection date. This will be subject to weather conditions. Winter operations will take priority over Christmas tree collection.
Comments regarding the Yard Waste Collection Program should be made to the Public Works Department during normal business hours, which are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at (608) 635-2122 ext.221.